Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Giulia Rende Manza

This week I turned 30 and for my 30th birthday my mother passed on the wedding band of my great great grandmother, Giulia Rose Manza. I have been dying for some family heirloom jewelry and had not mentioned it to my family at all. It was a perfect birthday gift. It needs to be resized as my fingers are MUCH larger than everyone else's in my family.

Giulia came here as a youth with her family from Italy. She married Giovanni Manza, later known as John...and she was later known as Julia. They Americanized her name upon her arrival. I don't remember her well, as she died when I was young, but her daughter, my great grandmother took care of me until her death when I was 12. In an effort to do her temple work a couple of years ago I found her naturalization papers pictured below. Rose, her daughter, is my great grandmother. Since her all of the first born daughters in my family have had the middle name of Rose. It is my middle name as well, and someday I will pass it to my first born daughter, who will also get to wear her great, great, great grandmother's wedding band on her 30th birthday.

I love tradition!

1 comment:

eLLe said...

What a wonderful way to remember your ancestors and beautiful tradition. Also, see the beauty in a name? I love that you included her naturalization papers.

Post a Comment